Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Depopulated

I'm beginning to understand why so many people get lonely at Christmas. There are so many memories associated with the holidays, and so much time to think about them. I've been missing Pranathi soo much lately- more than usual. But it's because I've been thinking about all the Christmases that we've spent together over the last few years. The lights I strung in my living room are identical to her set, and last year we hung them up together....as we did the year before. 2 years ago we bought them to hang in our living room...making the room more festive for a Christmas/graduation party we were throwing. That was the year of the MacGyver Christmas tree...literally held up with the miracle of dental floss. It was also the year that our other roommate got "drunk" off of a half a wine cooler and "passed out" in a chair. Pretty darn amusing. Last Christmas we hung up our lights in our 2 bedroom apartment- not for a party, although looking back most of our nights were like parties. Almost every night we sat around talking, laughing, eating (mostly stuff that was horrible for us) and watching "The Simpsons" like there was no tomorrow.

I'm not lonely...in fact, a few of my friends are doing quite an admirable job of keeping me entertained. Lonely isn't the right word...I just miss Pranathi. I think Lamartine said it best:

Sometimes
when one person is missing,
the whole world seems
depopulated.
Bedtime para mi.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats