Thursday, April 05, 2007

Running

Sorry about the infrequent posting as of late. I would tell stories about how I've been really busy and work has been crazy and I've joined the crusade to save the endangered animals, but all of those things would be equally far-fetched. I've been doing nothing. Work has been crazy slow. And the closest I've come to helping the endangered animals is signing up for a 5K Zoo Run that is incidentally a fundraiser for elephants. Although I'm pretty sure the funds are to capture an elephant and bring him to the Birmingham zoo. Which I wouldn't consider helpful to its plight. It would probably rather have its tusks made into tribal nosepieces than have to spend the rest of its days being fed peanuts by Mountain Brook soccer moms and their spawn. But whatever. I get a t-shirt. So, in lieu of having anything interesting to post about, I thought I'd update you on my 5K training.

You see, I don't exercise. So, a 3 mile run is something I have to train for two months to complete. Which is ridiculous, but c'est la vie. The thing about running is this: it is wicked boring. There's nothing to do but run. And if you're on a track, there's nothing to look at. At least on a trail there are some trees or something...occasionally people pass you and you can notice how their shorts are riding up in the middle and self-consciously think about the fact that yours are probably doing the same. It's all about staying awake. And not thinking about how your heart has been forced to pump body through your blood at an alarming rate for the last 3/4 of a mile. I've found that the best way to get through this arduous task is to listen to music. And to do lamaze. But the music is important too. So, for you aspiring runners (read: people that walk with feeling because I think that's really a more accurate description of what I do) I present (in no particular order cause I listen to it on shuffle): my "Running" playlist.

1. "Kerosene" by Miranda Lambert. Yes, I realize this is a country song. Regardless, I love to listen to it because the last time I heard it was riding in the car with my sisters. There's nothing better than listening to my four sisters sing an angry chick country song in perfect unison. Especially when I realize Bear is singing about her recently dumped boyfriend, and Jo (the 11 year old) is probably thinking about the little boy who "cheated" on her. His name was Jimmy Dean. I think it's safe to let that one go.
2. "Wannabe" by...wait for it...The Spice Girls. Again, it's good to have music that makes you laugh while you run. I first heard the Spice Girls when my *father* bought their cassette back when I was in jr. high. I got in the van, he popped it in the deck, and my sisters and I were sold. What possessed my father to buy this tape while at the store by himself is something that I've been afraid to ask and may never know, but we wore that thing out. Also, there were five spice girls, there are five girls in my family. Of course we broke every song down into parts and sang with feeling. I'm not going to lie to you. :-p
3. "Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira. Great great great song. I actually knew the song way before it was a radio single. You see, it was originally performed by another band for the "Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights" soundtrack. And since I own that movie and its soundtrack...I knew it pretty well. But Shakira's version is better. The only problem with this is that it's hard not to dance to...and it's even harder to dance and run. Stupid running.
4. "Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne. I have harbored an enduring hatred of Avril Lavigne ever since Raine Maida of Our Lady Peace produced one of her albums and let her move into his house during the production. But I've moved past it. Mainly because OLP kind of sucks now, and because Raine Maida looks more and more like Kevin Federline everyday. So, I've decided to give her a chance. It's a catchy song with a quick beat, I'm totally into it. Also, for all those who say she sold out, her biggest song was "Sk8ter Boi." Seriously? What did she sell out? The 13 year old instant message constituency?
5. "Runaway Love" by Mary J. Blige and Ludacris. I could run to this song all day. The beat is perfect for the speed at which I run (i.e. it's perfect for walking.) It's kind of depressing I guess, but Mary J. Blige has a beautiful voice. She's an amazing singer. A guy at work gave me a copy of her last album...I'm a fan.
6. "Jerk it Out" by The Caesars. A great tempo for people that actually run. This is the only song I found on an iMix that I liked. Good stuff.
7. "Cupid's Chokehold" by Gym Class Heroes. I was introduced to this song when my sisters were grounded for watching the video on YouTube. Catchy song, cute video. I especially like the dancing cupid. I just realized that if I had a video iPod, I could run and watch television. And here I am looking at scenery like a sucker. Geez.
8. "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race" by Fallout Boy. A good song for the last mile. When you're angry. The swearing can be your own little anthem.
9. "I'm Shipping up to Boston" by Dropkick Murphys. From "The Departed" sountrack. This song is kickass for so many reasons. The music is awesome, the lyrics are about a peg-legged sailor, the tempo is fantastic, and it reminds me that I am soon getting the hell out of Alabama. Talk about a motivator. Awesome song.
10. "Turtleneck Coverup" by Ozma. That video is a terrible version of the song, but the album version is great. You should download it.

I've probably got another 10-15 songs on the playlist. I might do another installment of blogging about it, but probably not since the rest are a lot of songs from the same artists. A few Arctic Monkeys songs, a bunch of Old 97s, Flogging Molly, Scissor Sisters, and Gwen Stefani. Going "running" again tonight. Luckily it's cooled down a bit. Running in 90 degree weather and 80 percent humidity kind of sucked. Apparently next Thursday night is a pub run. That's more like it. Laters :)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Donny said...

I listen to MJ's Thriller before running and that easily carriest me for the first mile. The girl is mine...mine, mine...

Fri Apr 06, 12:45:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats