Thursday, March 08, 2007

A Shot in the Arm

When we're in the operating room, there are several medications that we give the patient to increase organ function. They have varying effects, blah blah blah. One drug that we give is a vasodilator. Meaning that it expands the blood vessels and resultingly lowers blood pressure. Most of these vasodilators are given IV. However, when donating certain organs, we inject a vasodilator straight into the artery we want to dilate. It is my job to draw this drug up into a syringe. It is also my job to be really careful when I do this.

So, today, I was in the OR. I was drawing up the vasodilator. But rather than in a vial like we usually have, it's in one of these old fashioned glass vials that relies on the surface tension of the drug to keep it from running down your arm. And since I'm not experienced with these vials, I don't know how to keep it from running down my arm. Long story short, here's what happened.

There are 4 surgeons, 3 nurses, 2 anesthesthesiologists, 5 nursing students, and the other coordinator and I in the OR. Everyone's busy...either operating or watching the operation. I'm drawing up drugs. Next thing I know, I'm lying on the floor. Of an operating room. With 4 surgeons hovering over me, the other coordinator and a nurse propping my head and feet up, and all the nursing students crowding around trying to figure out what the hell happened. I look over and there's a needle in my hand.

Guess what happened! I was drawing up a potent vasodilator, got it all over my arm, absorbed it through my skin, and lost enough pressure to pass out on the operating room floor.

Because I am a professional.

*Seriously. Yesterday mauled by a canine, today unconscious on an OR floor. This stuff doesn't happen to everybody. I kind of wish it didn't happen to me. At least it gives me something to blog about.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger craziasian said...

i don't really understand the logistics of what happened, but i love that the end result was you passing out. passing out is pretty high on my list of "things that are funny" - the fact that it was in an OR makes it 100 times funnier.

Tue Mar 13, 09:31:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats