Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Warning: Political Rant

No matter what side of the political fence you fall on, do you really think we should still be hanging out in Iraq? Not when more and more of our people are dying everyday. This is like Vietnam, the sequel, without the rice. You can't win trying to help people who don't want your help. We did the big thing- getting rid of Saddam. So now, get out of it and let them figure out who they want to lead and all that jazz.

31 marines died in a helicopter crash in Iraq yesterday. 31 people. I had 31 people in a lot of my classes in elementary school. Think about it this way, if someone wiped out an entire elementary school class, would we be sitting here on our haunches? Probably not. And I know it's different. Trust me. I'm a military brat. I know that they volunteered to serve and all that jazz. However, they volunteered to serve. Not to die. And going over there at this point, is in many cases a death sentence. Who are they serving? Not the Americans. We found no WMDs, Saddam's gone, we're not taking their oil, so who are our soldiers serving? The Iraqis? No doubt they need help rebuilding, but if they don't want our help, we shouldn't be forcing ourselves on them.

Those soldiers used to be in elementary school. Most of them probably aren't that far out...there are a lot of teenagers in this war. I went to highschool with quite a few. I'm sure their mothers still look at them like those children they reluctantly sent off to kindergarten. I'm proud of those soldiers going off and fighting because they have the courage and honor to follow the oath that they made when they joined the service. But I'm ashamed of our government for continuing to send them there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats