Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Damn

Okay folks, I am not an animal rights activist in any way, shape, or form. I'm not a huge fan of animals...most of the time they really irritate me. I do think they were put on this planet to be our food or entertainment, and I don't think they're worthy of the same rights as humans. That being said, holy crap they get some messed up stuff done to them in the meat industry. I was just watching a video produced by PETA (watch it at www.meetyourmeat.com)- granted it was done by PETA- but it was just footage from the meat industry. Footage that was not made up.

My concern with this video is not just that they treat the animals poorly, it's HOLY CRAP PEOPLE EAT THESE ANIMALS! A ton of these animals are totally messed up- but then they're turned into meat and you can't tell the healthy pigs from the ones with three eyes or giant hairy tumors growing out of their foreheads. Watch the video, then decide whether you'd be able to tell a cow with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (mad cow) from one who just has its legs broken.

Plus, reading Fast Food Nation a while back made me realize that working in the meat industry must totally suck because of the danger and the lack of benefits. This video added a whole new element. Who in the world would be able to work for any extended period of time cutting the ears, tails, and teeth of baby pigs? Let alone while listening to their blood-curdling shrieks?!? Wow...it's totally messed up to work in the meat industry.

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats