Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I thought I smelled something burning.

I went to pick up my truck after work yesterday.
Me: "Hey, I'm here for the S10."
Mechanic: "Hey Samantha. We got her all fixed up. Um, didn't you say you drove this somewhere yesterday?"
Me: "Yeah, I was coming back from Atlanta when it started making all the noise. You know..the grinding..and the sound of running over hefty children."
Mechanic: "Yeeah. You are incredibly lucky. Mike and I can't believe you drove it all the way back. You're really lucky."
Me: "Haha. Yeah, I'm just glad it wasn't 2 grand to fix."
Mechanic: "No really, you wanna see your rotors? The one on the right was the big problem. We'd never seen anything like it."
Me: "Pretty worn out?"
Mechanic: "Samantha, we had to cut the ball bearings off of your axle. They had so much pressure and heat on them, they melted onto your axle."
Me: "I thought I smelled something burning."
Mechanic: "Your axle wasn't anywhere near where it needed to be. C'mere, I'll show you."
Me: "Okay."

So, I went outside and expected to see nothing surprising cause what do I know about what a rotor's supposed to look like?

Apparently rotors are supposed to look like this:















And my rotors looked like this:















One was fine. The other was missing most of its center. Which means that my axle, rather than secure in that middle hole, was rolling around in that much larger hole (indicated by my crappy airbrushing in microsoft paint.) So, that point in the drive when I thought I had blown a tire? That was actually when the inside of my rotor shattered and my truck's altitude went down by about 2-3 inches on the right. And the axle was bouncing around everytime I turned the wheel going 70 on the interstate in the rain at night. Sweet, huh?

Sometimes I am a complete idiot.

2 Comments:

Blogger craziasian said...

even though you explained that in as a girl-friendly way as you could (considering your talking about cars), I still have no idea what happened to your car.

this from a girl who used to drive her car all the way to new york city from south jersey with a hole in the steering fluid holder thingee. my solution: stop every ten minutes and refill fluid holder thingee with water.

i am a car genius. thank you thank you.

Wed Oct 18, 02:23:00 PM PDT  
Blogger mance01 said...

Haha..no worries. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't seen it. Not that I completely understand. All I understand is that metal was shattered, and that things were melty. And I think people of both genders can agree, that doesn't sound good.

Also, my Dad drives a beat up old Astrovan and keeps a gallon of water on the floor between the seats so he can fill up the radiator every 5 miles or so. You're not alone. :-p

Wed Oct 18, 02:29:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats