Thursday, September 01, 2005

Only thing I can say...it was a good day

Today has been a really good day, and I don't really know why. It's not as though anything extraordinary happened. I credit it to walking to school. I live about 2 miles from school, but after paying $3/gallon for gas last night (which is a whole lot in Alabama), my desire to drive anywhere was pretty low. So I decided to walk. I didn't think too much about the heat...just packed my backpack, strapped on the iPod and kicked it out the door. Walking to school isn't that much fun because it's really hot and Birmingham is really hilly and my backpack gets pretty heavy. But it just makes you feel good. I felt so great about the fact that everyone else was driving around wasting gas and here I was, bebopping down the street while my car sat parked back at the apartment. Perhaps it was because I felt as though I was doing something to free myself from the oil companies. I'm going to see how long I can go without driving. Today was Day 1 of the endeavor. I should be able to make it. There's school, grocery store, and numerous pubs within walking distance. :)

After class, I had some time to burn and was stahving (since it was almost 2 PM and I'd walked miles and had no food.) So, I went to the school cafeteria. Usually this is a big mistake because there's nothing to eat there (we have a Chik-fil-A, soul food, and a sandwich place that isn't as good as Subway) and it's more expensive than going to any of those respective places off campus. So you pay more to eat on campus and until recently you couldn't even use a debit card. But since they just made the switch to debit-card friendliness and because of their proximity to my next destination, I decided to go. It was fate. For some strange reason, my lunch check-out lady was giving everyone free stuff. So yay her. I got a tuna salad sandwich (which I paid for) and then a soda and a bottle of water for free. Woo! Then when I was leaving, I saw one of my friends and told him to get in her line and he got free stuff too...so then I felt even better because I got to share the magic with someone else. :)

Then, I went to our brand new campus rec center. And man. It is NICE. I mean, N-I-C-E. Well, except that at one point there was this insanely loud crash and you looked out over the pool area and one of the rather large light fixtures hanging probably 40 feet in the air had fallen down and shattered all over the lanai. But, I wasn't out in the pool area at the time. So the place is NICE. Tons of equipment, a lot less crowded than I thought it would be, really nice locker rooms. I really like it. So I worked out for a little while (read: ran on one of those elliptical machines for a mile, remembered I had to walk home, and then dinked around on a variety of weight machines downstairs cause there weren't any girls down there. ) Then, my friend met me and we played racquetball! I haven't played racquetball in over a year...probably much closer to 2 years or more. So I suck. But I'd forgotten how much fun it is. I need to work on 1. keeping my eye on the ball and 2. not screaming and laughing so much because it makes it really hard to focus on 1.

Then I walked back home. And it was SWELTERING. But it was still okay because it felt really good to be out walking instead of driving in 5 PM traffic. Also, I had OLP's new album on my iPod so the walking- really not so big of a deal. So, that was my day. How was yours?! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger mance01 said...

Um. How did you get these "bid for a sorority" flip-flops? Cause honestly, I'm a little scared here. Please doooooooooooooo nnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooootttttttt jjjjooooiiinnnnn sorrroorriittyyy. Please.

Fri Sep 02, 04:25:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats