Thursday, February 16, 2006

That Guy

So the other night at work, one of my coworkers and I got completely hosed by another coworker. And by hosed, I mean screwed seven ways to Sunday. I didn't really mind, mainly because her absence provided me with a chance to step up and actually do stuff at the new job. My good coworker, on the other hand, was completely left without experienced help and was forced to walk me through everything while in the middle of a pretty important procedure. So, everything worked out okay in the end, but it was not a wholly unstressful experience for him. And he was angry with the coworker that hosed us. So so angry.

Today he comes into work, and he pulls me aside. "Sam, I was really angry the other night, and I thought it would get better the next day. Oddly enough, I actually got angrier the next day. Let me tell you a little secret about this organization. If there's something that has pissed you off, gone wrong, needs to be changed, whatever...but you're too afraid to say something about it? Tell *****. If you ever want something said but don't want to say it yourself, tell him. Because he'll go off and set it right."

So my coworker told ***** about our little experience the other night. Sure enough, this morning ***** goes marching into the office of the executive director and schedules an impromptu comin' to Jesus meeting. He gave him a complete dressing down. He said "Look, I know this isn't really my business, and this wasn't really my case, but it's just not right. And this shit's gonna have to stop. Blah blah blah." The point of this story being: This guy is a complete rock star. I want to be this guy. I want to be the person who's not afraid to tell anyone exactly what the problem is, what the solution is, and what they can shove where if they don't agree with me. Which is completely undiplomatic, but it's not often I get upset about things. So if I'm upset about something, odds are something's seriously rotten in Denmark.

I'm pretty sure I can't become that guy within my first few months of employment. Probably not even within my first year. And I'm only planning on being at this job for a year...which is too bad. Because I so want to be that guy. He's my hero. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

so.... "*****" is code for "Spiderman?" Because he's my hero too.

Also, Shakespear. HA!

Mon Feb 20, 05:04:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats