Friday, January 27, 2006

A Veggie-Tale

Today I went to lunch with a friend at a local barbeque place. Okay, I know, that's my first hint that vegetables are not their specialty. Nevertheless. The only vegetarian option on the menu (aside from their plain house salad) is the 4 vegetable plate. Woo! Yay vegetables. So I take a look at my choices.

Mashed Potatoes
French Fries
Potato Salad
Baked Beans
Stewed Cabbage
Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
Cole Slaw
Macaroni and Cheese
Collard Greens

Is it just me, or is that list completely devoid of nutritional value? The only things even remotely green are the collard greens and cole slaw...and the vitamins have been leached from the greens by the pressure cooker and cole slaw has mayonnaise as a primary ingredient. So, I chose whatever sounded appealing...not necessarily healthy. I ended up eating just the potato salad and cole slaw...mac n' cheese and mashed potatoes untouched. Oh, and the two cheese biscuits which also accompanied the meal. I decide to get a to-go-box because that's a lot of food to waste. We start to leave, and I realize, the box weighs like 2 pounds. After I'd eaten half the food. This is why America is obese. Vegetable plates aren't even good for you. I figure it's okay though because we'd walked to the restaurant and I had to heft the box all the way home....like a really large and awkward wrist weight. Laters :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats