Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Winter of my Discontent

I have to wake up at 6:30 every morning in order to make it to work on time. And now that it's winter, that means that I'm waking up before the sun. I know it's only October, but it's frikkin' cold outside people. It's only supposed to hit 50-something today, and it's going to pour all day long. Which leaves me in a dilemma. Yesterday I did about an hour's worth of work, and then spent the rest of the day sitting in my office doing nothing except shiver. N-o-t-h-i-n-g. This morning I woke up, faced with even less work to do today (since the hour's worth yesterday actually constituted about a week's worth of neglected duties) and the rain and the cold. So, I reset the alarm for 7 AM. Now it's 7:30 and I'm still in my pajamas, listening to The Killers, and seriously contemplating calling in sick. Like..with African Sleeping Sickness. Because I am ridiculously tired. Also there was a fruitfly flitting around in my office yesterday that eventually lodged itself in my eye and I'm beginning to suspect it was actually a tsetse fly.

Calling in sick would be fine...I'm sure I have plenty of sick days since most of the days I've called in sick, I don't actually write it down on my leave form. I just don't show up. I more than make up for it on the weekends. For instance, if I call in today, I've already worked over 40 hours this week...I probably won't even take a sick day. So that's not really a problem. The problem is, when will it stop? My desire to go to work is directly correlated with the temperature. If the temperature is low, my desire to sit in my corner office with absolutely no insulation is pretty low. It can be represented graphically as a "direct relationship." (That's right...I remember some math. Actually, I remember it from physics...some crazy old dead guy's law...Gay Lussac maybe. I don't remember anything about his law whatsoever. I just remember the graph. Maybe this is why the physics part of the MCAT stole my lunch money and stuffed me in a locker. But whatever.)

It's only October. This is only going to get worse. The problem is, I'm probably going to have to get into actual trouble to begin caring. Because as it is, I could be freezing to death in my car right now. But instead I'm at my computer in my flannel pajamas waiting for my bagel to pop out of the toaster. Pretty sweet. I could do this for a few months. ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger blu-idegrl said...

be sure to let us know when you find a cure for the African Sleeping Sickness - i'm sure my boss will thank you, as i've been calling in sick way too much already this fall with an unknown disease. now i know what the disease is called. thank you.

Thu Oct 26, 04:06:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats