Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

I am going to do a huge post about PHILONYE, but am opting to wait until some of the participants post pictures. Because a. pictures are great, b. my friends won't know who I'm talking about without illustrations, and c. I didn't bring a camera, so I have to steal photos from everyone else. I don't even know where to begin about PHILONYE...but rest assured, I'll figure it out.

In the meantime, I usually don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't have many bad habits. Not a smoker, not in need of a diet, not a terribly mean person that should work on being nicer. I don't even drink that much anymore. If anything, I should resolve to be less boring. But, I'm going to make some resolutions, because it's New Year's, and I need a post.

1. I resolve to make more time for friends. I have awesome friends, and I see them a lot less than I used to. Much of this is directly related to starting a full-time job. But it's probably more directly correlated with me being really lazy and using my job as an excuse for not prying myself off the couch. Also, I got cable this year. Kiss of death.

2. I resolve to get out of my holding pattern. I've lived in Alabama for over a decade. I've been trying to get into medical school on and off for 4 years. I've worked for the same organization since I was 19. It's time. By the end of the year, I'm either going to be in medical school in Birmingham, or out of Alabama.

3. I resolve to cook more. I got a panini-maker for Christmas. And a food chopper thing. And a cookbook. I have the equipment...I just lack the ability. I need to practice. Plus, I've started to realize that restaurant food is usually not very good. But always very overpriced. Last month I didn't eat out at all. One whole month, no restaurants. I saved a bunch of money, it was great. But I also had to rely on my own cooking, and thus lost some weight and now my pants don't fit. Which is decidedly uncool. Pants are expensive. Time to start cooking stuff that's not my specialty "A bag of frozen birdseye vegetables."

4. Exercise more...wow. I can't even type that with a straight face. Who am I kidding? I'm not going to exercise. I'm too lazy, and I live far away from places where I'd like to exercise. I figure I'll get plenty of exercise when I either get into medical school, thus making me a student with free gym membership...or move out of Alabama to a place that is hopefully very walkable and has great public transportation. So I'll hold off on that resolution because who am I kidding?

5. I resolve to read more. I love reading. But I also love cable. After having only 4 channels for so long, it's tough to not get into my new cable routine. 2 episodes of Scrubs right after work...break for dinner...then depending on the night I could be watching Medium, House, 30 Rock, The Office, Colbert Report, or the Daily Show. I figure that's okay since I don't really watch MTV anymore. Not sitting through hours of Real World and Road Rules, or that evil hybrid show I used to love means that I'm growing up. Right? Anyway, more reading. I got "Heat" for Christmas and I'm loving it. Of course, it really has only succeeded in making me both hungry for pasta, and determined to dine at Babbo.

So only five resolutions. I'm sure there are many more I need to make, but last year I resolved to be less critical of myself. So I think I'm pretty okay. :-p

Welcome to 2007, everybody. It's gonna kick ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats