Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Ain't that a kick in the head?

I just graduated, and now I'm searching for jobs. I've applied for many jobs in the past, even including several that I knew I wasn't qualified for but I applied for anyway since I thought they would be cool. Usually, I apply for a job, and then I never hear anything again. Or, I get a rejection letter 3 months later (after I've already found another job.) So today, I sent in some job applications. One job, at a not-too-distant university, looked totally awesome. It was doing exactly what I wanted to do, it had awesome benefits, and it included working with students (which I love.) The only problem was that it listed 5 years of experience (including supervisory experience) as a qualification. I happily ignored the qualification, and went on to write a cover letter filled with why I am fabulous and experience? who needs experience? look how great I am! I fully expected to never hear from these people again. (insert foreboding music here.)

So, of course, I did hear back. I got a very nice, professional email from the person to whom I'd sent my application. Except, it wasn't the usual, "sorry, no dice" email. Well, the gist of it was, but the way it was put across was so strange. It's like they thought I was a grown-up or something. The part that really got me was when he said, "As I hope you will understand, these experience and supervisory credentials cannot be waived by the search committee. Therefore, I will not be passing your resume on to the committee." Search committee?!?? Every job I've ever had included one idiot reading resumes, calling me for an interview, and having their socks knocked off because I can speak in complete sentences without an overwhelming Southern drawl. (I like to think without a southern drawl altogether, but I guess that's debatable.) So now, I'm super self-conscious about sending out my cover letter and resume. There are committees people! Whole groups of people to say, "Tsk tsk, what a waste of our time. I hate this girl" or, "Maybe if we all will it together we can get her heart to explode in her chest for sending us this crap application." Bet ya didn't think that could happen while job-hunting. It's risky stuff. I'll keep you posted. Laters!

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Dude, you're totally fine. I've done the same thing. Send the resume out for that CEO position even though I'm three months shy of graduation. Don't even sweat it. I'm pretty sure you're on the right track.

They never ever ever reply to us jokers who know we're not even close to qualified and by the way don't even have a degree in this, or any related, field. But to get a response? Wow. That means that a) they read it, b) the noted your name and contact info, and c) gave it at least half a second of consideration before saying "oh wait, no experience"

I've got ten bucks says if you apply for this (or similar) position after you do have that experience, you make the search comittee's short list. (well, ok, I haven't gotten paid this week, so I don't really have the ten bucks, but on the other hand I'm sure I'd win the bet, that is if you agreed to bet against yourself in this situation)

-tom

Tue May 17, 03:52:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl. SUCK.
Wanna go out for drinks with me and David tonight? Call me. (I already told David you called asking if we wanted to go. I am an evil ho.)

Wed May 18, 06:13:00 AM PDT  
Blogger mance01 said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tom :) Oh, and C? Definitely down for going out tonight :)

Wed May 18, 06:48:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, we're a bunch of geezers, so I'm thinking we'll hit Surin's happy hour: $3 Crab Angels, Crispy Egg Rolls, Edamame, Pot Stickers, Basil Rolls, California Rolls, Philadelphia Rolls, Rock & Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, Tekka Maki. $2 Beers: Singha, Amstel Light, Sapporo, Heineken. $1 Beers: Bud Light, Bud, Bud Select, Michelob Ultra.

Wonder if Rupal would want to go? There's a plethora of HOT guys at Surin & Co.
All lawyers, or wannabe lawyers though. Damn those wannabe lawyers.

Wed May 18, 07:10:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats