Monday, May 02, 2005

Bugs is my hero

Looney Tunes are out on DVD...which makes me happy because I don't have cable and therefore am unable to get my fill of cartoon mania. Looney Tunes was a staple of my childhood. I always thought that every cartoon I hadn't seen before was a brand-new one. So, when my Dad would recite Bugs Bunny's lines before Bugs did, I thought my Dad was a certifiable psychic and the coolest man on the planet. I've since learned that Looney Tunes have been recycled through countless childhoods. Which doesn't make them any less fabulous. Although, have you watched them lately?

When I was a kid, it seemed to make a lot of sense that Daffy Duck could be shot point-blank in the head by a 20-gauge shot gun and live to tell Bugs that he was "despicable." Now I watch it and I think that it's kind of bad how non-chalantly guns are pulled out every ten seconds. At the end of one of the shorts, Bugs and Yosemite Sam were outsmarted by some tertiary character. Bugs looks at Sam and says, "Who's up for a game of Russian Roulette?" Then he hands Sam a pistol and Sam holds it to his temple and fires the gun. It clicks with an empty barrel, he hands the gun to Bugs. The screen goes black and you hear a shot. The picture comes back and Sam has been shot (he has the characteristic black, smoking head.) Bugs says, "Eh, I missed!" It's funny, it's just kind of surreal to watch.

But, I still think it's hilarious. Oh, and Spongebob is gay? Bugs Bunny puts on a dress and lipstick and smooches a dude everytime he gets the chance! And no one has a word to say about this. I don't think they should- I think the whole "gay cartoon character" movement is pretty stupid. I just wonder what these people base this on.

This whole Looney Tunes analysis is based on the fact that I've spent all morning lying in my bed watching cartoons. That's the direct product of daytime unemployment. Yeah! Oh, and best Bugs Bunny moment? In the episode with that giant furry red monster and Bugs distracts him by giving him a haircut and a manicure. "I always looove working with monsters, because monsters are such iiiinnteresting people. They lead such iiinnnteresting lives!" Laters!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

I'm a fan. Looney Toons are great. Bugs, Daffy, Marvin. Top three. Anytime any of them manage an adventure in space is great. and then there's the one where bugs fights with the opera singer. "leopold!" ahahahaha. or the scarlet pumpernickel, or duck dodgers in the 24 and a half century...with the elctric eye.

and then you enter a whole different level, a whole new layer of comedy with the road runner. (the only ones that are really really good are the ones where wiley doesn't talk. I'm sure you all agree with me on this)

-that's all, folks
tom

Mon May 02, 11:12:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats