Monday, May 01, 2006

I'm having a pity party. Join me.

Could today have been more stressful? Doubtful. Very doubtful.

We start with the morning meeting. We went over all the cases that we didn't receive consent on. I got a no last Friday, so we went over my case. Along with a bunch of others. Everyone else's cases received a "Well, you did all you could. All we can do is try." I tell my story, and everyone has suggestions for what I could have done differently. Which is fine. But it doesn't make you feel good when you think that it's possible that someone else could have done a better job and gotten some people transplanted. It's not a good feeling at all.

Then I decided to take my car to get the air conditioning fixed. Because it's going to be in the 80's this week and I have no a/c. So, I take it in for an oil change and freon (sp?) recharge. Guy gives me an estimate of $150. I thought it was steep, but my car never has problems so the least I can do is buy it some expensive freon. Fine. 2 hours later my phone rings.

Money-Stealing-Guy: "Ma'am? We've just run some tests and you've got a couple of other problems."
Shocking.
Me: "Uh huh. What's wrong with it?"
MSG: "Well, you've got a couple of o-rings that are leaking."
Me: "Is that why my a/c is broken?"
MSG: "Probably."
I like the confidence. Jackass.
Me: "OK, so what's the estimate now?"
MSG: "About $250."
Me: "Um, ok."
MSG: "Also, you need a new radiator."
Fuuuuuuck.
Me: "Huh??"
MSG: "Your radiator's broken. We need to replace it."
Me: "Uh huh. What's the estimate now?"
MSG: "About $750."
Me: "Uh huh. Okay, don't touch my car. I'll call you back."

So, I get off the phone with him and ask one of my coworkers if I'm being screwed. Which, of course, I am. Because when I walk into a car repair place, they see a girl who knows nothing about cars and has Daddy's credit card. The problem is that only half of that sentence is true. So my co-worker called them back for me, told them not to worry about the radiator and to just get the a/c up and running for me. Apparently the guy had quite a 'tude with Brett. Which I'm not surprised about at all. I'd be pissed if I lost a quick $500 too. Bastards. I told them I'd be there to pick the car up at 4:30. They said fine.

About an hour later, the phone rings again. It's the people that own my apartment. I think maybe they're responding to the voicemail I left 4 DAYS AGO regarding availability in any of their other rental properties. Oh no. That's not why they're calling. They're calling to ask why I haven't turned in my keys. I told them I thought my lease was up May 17th since that's when I moved in 2 years ago. Yeah. Not so much. Apparently they wised up to the fact that I haven't actually signed a lease for this past year, and they've just been letting me slide on a month-to-month basis. But, that last month ended April 28th. So, apparently I was supposed to be out 4 days ago. Mmhmm. That's right. Not only do I have the incessant hammering and no cold water. Now my apartment people are actually trying to evict me. So, the apartment hunt went to a whole new level. I made an appointment to see an apartment at a complex that one of my coworkers lives in at 4:30.

So, I call the car place back to see if my car's ready.
Me: "Hi, I'm calling about the S10. Is it ready?"
MSG: "When do you need it by?"
Me: "I need it by now. I need my car to get home."
MSG: "Whoa, whoa. Calm down. You can have your car, but we haven't done anything to it."
Did he just tell me to calm down?
Me: "So you didn't do anything with it, and it's fine to drive?"
MSG: "Well, we tested it. But you can take it. Can you bring it back in tomorrow?"
Bring it back!??? Are you kidding?!?
Me: "Oh yeah. Not a problem. I'll be there in a few minutes."
MSG: "Okay."

So I get there and he hands me the key and doesn't charge me for the test, I assume because he thinks I'll pay for it when I come back tomorrow...or as I refer to it, when hell freezes over. So got the car, went and looked at a nice apartment that was a million miles away, a crappy apartment that was really close by, and called about a million places that will probably never call me back because that is my luck.

And now I'm back in my apartment. And it's not a nice apartment. But it's home. And I wish I didn't have to move. This sucks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Mechanics. GAAHH. For the record, they are screwing people over the majority of the time. Which is why, in situations such as this one's, I thank my lucky stars that my pa owns a car garage and taught me the ins and outs and estiments and how ones changes a tire and their oil.

Everyone is moving in the blogsphere it seems. I hope everything works out.

Tue May 02, 10:47:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounded like you need rupal by your side at the mechanics. you know she is very familiar with the cochrane family :)

Thu May 04, 11:27:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats