Friday, May 26, 2006

World Cup 2006

I have never been an avid sports fan. I have always enjoyed going to baseball games...my father used to take me to Dodgers games when I was little, and Cubs games when I lived in Chicago. I like to watch baseball, but only in the moment. I don't keep up with it...I don't remember scores...I barely remember players. I don't even bother to read those little trivia questions that pop up because I know I won't know the answer.

I don't like football. I don't mind going to football games. I understand the premise and scoring and all that jazz...but I don't care for it at all. It involves a lot of falling down. Stand in a line, blow the whistle, bam. Everyone falls down. It is the slowest, most boring sport. Can't stand it. Also, I went to highschool in rural Alabama where life = football, and I spent much of my college dorm-life being harassed by football players. And I don't mean catcalls-in-the-hallways harassed...I mean trying-to-come-through-the-wall-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-urinating-on-the-door-when-they-didn't-make-it-through harassment. That probably didn't help my opinion of the sport.

Basketball. Honestly, any game where you're scoring over 100 points is not a game. Unless it's Jeopardy. That's just ridiculous. Scoring loses all meaning. Stupid basketball.

And then in 1998, I found my sport. Not a sport that I'd play, but a sport that I thought was exciting, and athletic, and elegant. I discovered soccer. Soccer games are non-stop. Constantly running up and down the field, constantly losing possession of the ball, yellow cards, red cards, corner kicks, brilliant saves. I couldn't stop. I was completely addicted. During the World Cup in France, I volunteered to fold laundry the whole month just so I could sequester myself in my parents bedroom with the television. It was AWESOME. Soccer players aren't some giant juiced-up guys, they're not all seven-feet-tall, they're not even famous in this country. (Mainly cause American soccer blows.) They're just athletes. Amazing athletes.

I know when baseball players win the World Series, they get all choked up and cry. I know when those giant dudes win the Superbowl and get that ugly-ass ring they get a little teary. And I know when basketball players win whatever it is they win, they're probably happy too. But when a team wins the World Cup...it's like winning the Olympics. They don't win for themselves, they win for their country. And it is out of control. When France won in '98, I would've given anything to be there. They were so excited and proud and you could see it in the eyes of everyone there. Those guys were national heroes.

I don't know why America doesn't like soccer. Maybe it's not brutal enough. Maybe there isn't enough scoring. Maybe we dont want to support a sport in which we don't excel. I'd argue there is no good reason. Sure, they aren't scoring 100 goals in a game, but man. When you've waited 80 minutes to see someone score and they finally do. It's exciting. It's really exciting. And maybe American soccer sucks, but that's because no one supports it. We have amazing soccer players...but we lose them to other countries. Landon Donovan- gone, Casey Keller- gone, really I shouldn't get started on this. Sure, they'll come back and play on the US World Cup team, but how many Americans are kickin' it over to Germany for that? (I wish I could.)

So, I think that everyone should give soccer a chance. Or a second chance if you've already tried to watch it. The 2006 World Cup starts June 9th. Here's a link to the TV schedule for all the games being aired in the US. Thank GOD I finally got cable. I'll be watching. I think you guys should too. It's fast-paced, it's exciting, and at the end of the match the boys take their shirts off. Really, what's not to love?

5 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

Funny... I discovered World Cup Soccer in 1998 too, and while I was in Quebec (they were happier to see France in the World Cup than they would have been if it had been Canada). It's still the only sport I enjoy watching televised

Sun May 28, 07:51:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, listen, the both of you:

Soccer is BORING.

For non-players it is marginally more exciting than televised golf. (Though, if you golf the game can be intense).

How about instead of abandoning your country you try showing a modicum of interest in one of the true American sports (baseball, basketball, and football (REAL football, NOT soccer). Hell, even hockey or lacrosse!

Take this year's NBA and NHL playoffs, for example. If you had invested yourselves, even just a small amount in the game, rooting for just one of the contenders, any one, you would have been treated to the most spectacular round of playoffs either sport has scene in over a decade.

The top five of the NBA's Most Valuable Player candidates made the playoffs. The Clippers, a perenial joke, advanced to the quarterfinals this year! Kobe Bryant carried his entire team the second half of the season to qualify, and don't tell me you wouldn't have enjoyed rooting against the hated Lakers to drop out in the first round. Meanwhile You've got Dwayne Wade and Shaq trying to make a run at the title that was allllllllmost theirs last year, the Pistons and the out-spoken Wallace, Steve Nash, a short white Canadian who repeated for MVP, and two tremendous teams out of Texas: last year's champions the Spurs, and this years champs (?) the Mavericks duking it out for supremacy in the Lone Star State.

You think scoring in soccer is exciting? Have you ever seen playoff hockey? What the hell were they doing in Quebec watching soccer anyway?

Do yourselves, and your country, a favor and tune in to the playoffs. Edmonton qualified for the Stanley Cup round last week, and Buffalo and Carolina are wrapping up a hard-fought series now.

The Heat, Mavericks, Suns, and Pistons are still alive in the NBA, and my money is on the Heat.

Soccer indeed. How can you be so un-american?

Tue May 30, 10:07:00 AM PDT  
Blogger mance01 said...

Soccer is not BORING. Soccer is AWESOME. Just because you don't appreciate the athleticism inherent in being able to run non-stop for 45 minute increments while manipulating a ball with only your feet and head doesn't mean that it's not the greatest sport ever. Because it is.

As for your points about the NHL and NBA: I do like hockey. Since getting cable I've watched a few games and I could see myself getting into it...purely because it's like soccer on ice. But, seeing as how I've only had local stations for the past 2 years and there's not a lot of ice locally here in ALABAMA, I think you should give me a break.

And the NBA? Shaq's run for the championship or whatever that malarky was? Puh-lease. Shaq sucks. And basketball is absolutely ludicrous.

So's your face. :-p

Tue May 30, 10:22:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Dan said...

It's funny, I've never watched an entire soccer game in my life. Yet I find myself oddly excited for the World Cup this year. It's like I great into it. Either that or my life got so boring that events like this become more meaningful.

Thu Jun 01, 12:58:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tried so hard but i definitely skimmed this post and all of its comments. twice. i'm so sorry.

Mon Jun 05, 10:20:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats