Monday, August 08, 2005

I'd rather be at the beach

But I'm back. You guys don't really deserve any new posts, since my last post's request for comments was met with crickets (except for Brad...yay him.) So, I guess this post will be for Brad. Because he comments. That's all I'll say about it.

So, I went to Mobile (which is technically not the beach) with my sister for a few days. The goal was for her to see her boyfriend who lives there, and meet his parents. I would have been terrified if I were her, but luckily she doesn't have my complex about parents. Jessica baked them a blueberry pie, a la Martha Stewart, and that pretty much gave her a lock on the parents. They loved her. Her boyfriend's Dad said that Jessica was "the kind of gal Pete could marry." How scary is that? Jessica was happy though. :)

The first day was pretty uneventful...we got there...checked into the Motel 6... *Note to self: Never stay at a Motel 6 again* then went over to Pete's house. Pete's a nice guy. A complete goofball...but that meshes well with my sister who is also a complete goofball. They're cute together (don't ya think?)

The first night we went to Pete's friend John's house. He needed help lifting a bed onto the truck he was rebuilding. There we met John, Michael, and Stephen. Well, I did...cause Jessica already knew them I think. John's a mechanic and a really nice kid. Kind of hyper, but nice. Michael is Stephen's older brother, pretty quiet, and a lifeguard at the military base in Biloxi, MS. Stephen is the youngest of the group, likes to do handstands, is really built, and stands at a reasonable 6'4 inches tall. Pictures of everyone are on my Flickr Account.

The next day was the trip's crowning glory. Pete, Jessica, Michael, and I drove to the beach. It stormed almost the entire time, but we got about an hour of nice weather in the water. I wish we could have stayed longer. But, we had to get back to Mobile, because we were in a sailboat race! WOO!! I had never been sailing, but Jessica's boyfriend teaches sailing so he wanted to take us out on the boat. It was raining when the race started, so only 5 boats competed. Sailing is the most fun thing to do ever. I LOVED it and would do it every day if I had a body of water and a boat to put in it. Also if I learned to sail. It was insanely beautiful, so much fun, and I saw a dolphin. That's right people. I saw a frikkin' DOLPHIN swimming near the boat!! No one else seemed as psyched about that as I was, but it completely blew my mind. I lived in Hawaii for 4 years and saw plenty of whales, but I never ever saw a dolphin. And then I'm in dirty old Mobile Bay and up swims a dolphin. Crazy I say! I was given the job of "mascot" and "cabin bitch" during the trip...meaning I stood on the front of the boat holding on to the mast with John who entertained me (see pics on Flickr)...and occasionally fetched sodas for the crew. Kind of sad, but true. Jessica got to use a tool. There was much jealousy. We ended up with 3rd place in the race, but I'm sure they would've done better had Jessica and I not been in the way :)

Then that night we went to Pete's house and had a bonfire. Of course, everything was soaking wet so the fire was exceptionally hard to start. But leave it to a bunch of young boys to start a fire. They'll get it done. Between the napalm bombs, and the homemade flamethrower, I would have called it mission accomplished. We also had a boombox out by the fire, and there was a lot of dancing. I don't know the last time I laughed this hard. The boys had an interpretive dance to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody." It was HI-FRIKKIN-LARIOUS. I mean, that is a long-ass song...but they had pre-rehearsed moves for the whole thing. Stephen was particularly hilarious because the kid obviously had no problem looking like an idiot. SOO funny. They also had a dance to the Sugarhill Gang's "Apache." Again. Gold. Solid comedy gold. There are pictures of Stephen doing the dance on my Flickr account. And one of them video taped it...I'm hoping Jessica will send me the video clip and I'll figure out some way to post it.

So, the trip was boatloads of fun...I want to go to the beach and go sailing again. We're planning on going back to Mobile in October to go to Bayfest, and maybe we'll get to go sailing again then.

4 Comments:

Blogger Johnny Sapphire said...

Hi there. I read occasionally, and never comment even though I hate when people don't comment on me.

My comment is that Pete is cute.

Mon Aug 08, 11:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger mance01 said...

Haha..Yeah, he's cute...especially next to Jessica...cause then they're both all smiley. :)

Mon Aug 08, 12:27:00 PM PDT  
Blogger mance01 said...

Um...the comments section of my weblog is neither the time nor the place to blame YOUR mean comments toward my sister on me. :-p Yes Daniel. I mean you.

Mon Aug 08, 06:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Tom said...

oh man I wish I'd thought of interpretive dance to rock classics. that is maybe the greatest thing I've heard ever. that is awesome. I'm almost in disbelief. just awesome.

Mon Aug 08, 07:08:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats